Worry is an emotion that is not inborn but is developed over a period of time. It’s something that makes a person physically and mentally weak. Trust me, It’s like a termite, if infected with, will eat you from inside. Like everyone, I have experienced various forms of worry in my life.
When I was a child, I worried about exams and scoring the highest marks in my class, though the magnitude of worry was quite small. As I grew up, my worries grew with me. I realized, real struggle begins now.
I always had this constant worry of getting a decent job in a reputed MNC and settle down in my life. I thought, all my problems end here, once I am independent financially. But, this does not end here. As you all might know, there is a lot of competition in the corporate world, and in order to rise above in my professional life, I had built a constant pressure and worry on my mind to out perform every year. This pressure took a toll on me. I began to ignore my health and body. And, if I wasn’t healthy, how was I supposed to keep my family healthy?
I did not want this to become my habit, for it could ruin my life forever. Worry wasn’t getting me anywhere; so I had to work upon it, I followed the age old magic formula taught by my grandmother to handle my problem without worrying. It consists of three steps:
- Sit back and talk to yourself about what is causing you worry. Analyse the problem and think of the worst thing that can happen as a result of failure. Its very important for you to spend time with yourself everyday to know what’s going on inside you.
- Once, you have analysed your problem and thought of the worst scenario, accept it. Be prepared for the worst that can happen. Acceptance is the key to peaceful soul and good mental health.
- Last step is to work upon the worst that you have analysed and improve it slowly. Now because, you have already accepted the worst situation, you do not have any kind of fear in your mind and you can work upon the worry.
I recently came across a book by Dale Carnegie – “How to stop worrying and start living“. and I must say, this is one of the good books I have ever read. This book has a lot to say for those who are interested in transforming their lives in a better way. Writer has shared various ways of viewing any tension or worry which I am going to share now in my post, so keep on reading.
- Keep yourself Busy: It has been rightly said, A free mind is devil’s house. When we are not busy especially hours after the work, our minds tend to become a vacuum. As per science, Nature tries to fill up that vacuum of mind with emotions. Since emotions of fear, worry, hate, jealousy are more violent that emotions of love, happiness, they tend to overpower our mind. To not become the victim of negative emotions, keep yourself busy physically and mentally. Being busy is the cheapest medicine to cure the disease of worry.
- Law of averages: Examine the situation and ask yourself, “what are the chances, according to the law of averages, that this event I am worrying about will even occur?” Let us consider a common example, We are travelling by flight and worry of it being crashed. To break the worry habit, examine this situation, gather the facts and think, last time when did this flight crash? If it did not happen in last 5 or 10 years, chances of it being crashed is very low. Though this logic sounds absurd, but is your worry logical?
- Co-operate with the inevitable: Most of our worries are based on the things that we cannot change and are out of our circle of influence. For example, fear of being judged by other people, fear of losing someone or fear of altering others according to our way. Learn to accept the situation that you cannot change, accept the people around you for who they are. Come out of your Circle of Concern and work in Circle of Influence.
- Your time matters: Why don’t we try something new today? If at all, we tend to worry about any situation, let us put a time constraint on ourselves as in for how much time I am going to worry. Analyse if this worry really deserves so much of my time? Does worry really matter to me and if it does, try to find the possible solutions to resolve it and move on.
Just for today, lets be happy. Just for today, let’s try to adjust ourselves according to our surroundings and not adjust everything to our own desires. Just for today, let’s feed our soul and mind with healthy thoughts. Just for today, RELAX.
I hope you find any of these points helpful, if you do, don’t forget to leave a comment below.
Keep smiling, till my next post 🙂